The number seven deals with magical forces, marks the end of one cycle and the beginning of the next – a good time to reevaluate and be thankful for all the wonderful experiences. Seven deals with the activation of imagination and manifesting results in our lives through the use of conscious thought and awareness.
2012 was a very special and important year because I premiered Sangre y Arena (one of my proudest achievements choreographically speaking) and because I finished my book that will be available for you in January. Unveiling Motion and Emotion, is being published as a result of my reflection on the past 23 years as a dance teacher.
As an immigrant arriving to New York seven years ago, I have accomplished lot since the creation of Anabella Lenzu/ DanceDrama.
I couldn’t have done it without you!
Your trust, support, friendship and continued inspiration are the gasoline that makes the car move!
• Since its founding in 2006, AL/DD has given 200 performances at 67 venues.
The company has had the privilege to perform at Baryshnikov Arts Center, Joyce Soho, Movement Research at Judson Church, 92nd Street Y, Dixon Place, DMAC Duo Multicultural Arts Center, DUMBO Festival, Galapagos Art Space, WAXworks, Center for Remembering & Sharing (CRS), Chashama, The Embassy of Argentina, COOL New York Festival, La Mama, Hatch Series/TheWorks Studio, NYU Casa Zerilli Marimo, Merce Cunningham Studio, New Dance Group Art Center, Roulette, Gershwin Hotel, University Settlement, Abrons Arts Center, Triskelion Arts Center, Jewish Community Center, HERE Arts Center, Latinoamerican Arts Center (Atlanta), Charlotte Dance Festival/NC, among others.
• Developed seven full-length shows for AL/DD: Sangre y Arena (2012), The Grass is Always Greener… (2010-11) , The Corral (2009), Entroterra (2008), The Garden (2008), Ilusiones de Percantas (2007), and Amen (2006).
• Since 2009, the company has held an annual Summer Intensive Workshop for dance technique and repertory at Peridance Center, investing in education as well as performance.
• Consistently over the years, AL/DD engaged with visual art and photography and collaborated closely with actors, musicians, and designers, in an effort to unify artistic disciplines through performance and creation, including musician Geoff Gersh (of Blue Man Group), and Daniel Pettrow (of the distinguished Wooster Group), Todd Carroll ( School of Visual Arts faculty).
I have taught 6,300 classes and workshops as a:
• Faculty member at Lehman College, Wagner College, Sarah Lawrence College, Randolph College.
• Lecturer at Sarah Lawrence College, Fordham University, New York University/Casa Zerilli Marimo.
• Guest Artist/Choreographer at NYU Gallatin, The Wooster Group, Dance New Amsterdam, Peridance Capezio Center, Here Arts Center, Anna Sokolow Thater Dance Ensemble, New Dance Group, Taiwan Center, Above & Beyond Dance, Mare Nostrum Company, and others.
Teacher of technique classes in Classical Ballet, Barre a Terre, Modern Dance and Tango at Dance New Amsterdam, Mark Morris Dance Center, Peridance Center & New Dance Group.
I am planning some special projects for the upcoming 2013 season and hope you can join us on:
• March 7th, 2013 at 6 pm at the Argentine Consulate in New York : A formal presentation of my bilingual book of essays and memoirs “Unveiling Motion & Emotion”, with photos by Todd Carroll.
• February 4th at 8pm: Work in progress of Pachamama at Movement Research at Judson Church.
• June: date TBA. Holding 3rd Annual AL/DD Summer Intensive at Peridance Capezio Center.
• October Premiere of a new full-length show, Pachamama: Mother World.
Ideas behind Pachamama
Pachamama: Mother World explores the ritualistic similarities between two geographically different cultures -the indigenous tribes of North and South America. In an effort to blur the dividing line between Ritual and Performance in traditional dances, I seek to portray the history, purpose and significance of these Native American rituals. “Pachamama” is both an anthropologic study and a dance theater creation.
Stay tuned for the Kickstarter campaign coming up on January 15.
Thank you again for your continued support.
Happy and Prosperous 2013, Anabella